Understand - Your state tax amount may be affected by changes on your federal tax return. For information on how to correct your state tax return, contact your state tax agency.
The normal processing time for an IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, is between 8 and 12 weeks from the time the IRS receives your tax return.
If you owe a balance from the changes on your amended tax return:
- If it is before the original due date of your individual tax return (generally April 15 of each year), file IRS Form 1040X, and pay the tax by the due date for that year (without regard to any extension of time to file) to avoid penalties and interest.
- If you file and pay after the original due date of your individual tax return, the IRS may charge interest and penalties.
If you’re due a refund based on the changes you’re making, you generally MUST file the amended return within three years from the date you filed your original return, or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, to get a refund.
The IRS won't process your amended tax return if:
- You don't attach all the forms and schedules you're changing.
- The amounts on your amended tax return don't match the IRS's records from your original return.
- Pay special attention to Column A of IRS Form 1040X: adjusted gross income, taxable income, and tax. This is where most errors occur.
The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act prevents you from filing past due returns or amended returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit/Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), or American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) if the reason you're filing is because you now have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) required for each credit but such TIN wasn't issued on or before the due date of the return (including a valid extension).
If you aren’t sure what was on your original tax return, get a transcript. If you receive a notice that the IRS needs more information to process your amended tax return, send that information to the address on the notice within the time given to help speed up the processing.