2017 LITC Grant Period Now Open
The 2017 Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) grant application period is now open and will continue to accept applications through June 20, 2016.
The LITC program is a federal grant program administered by the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate at the IRS, led by the National Taxpayer Advocate Nina E. Olson. The LITC program awards matching grants of up to $100,000 per year to qualifying organizations to develop, expand or maintain a low income taxpayer clinic.
The mission for LITCs is to ensure the fairness and integrity of the tax system for taxpayers who are low income or speak English as a second language:
- By providing pro bono representation on their behalf in tax disputes with the IRS;
- By educating them about their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers; and
- By identifying and advocating for issues that impact low-income taxpayers.
An LITC must provide services for free or for no more than a nominal fee.
LITC grants come from appropriated funds. Although these grants partially fund LITCs, the clinics, their employees and their volunteers operate independently from the IRS. Examples of qualifying organizations include:
- Clinical programs at accredited law, business or accounting schools whose students represent low-income taxpayers in tax disputes with the IRS; and
- Organizations exempt from tax under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(a) whose employees and volunteers represent low income taxpayers in tax disputes with the IRS.
Copies of the 2017 Grant Application Package and Guidelines, IRS Publication 3319, can be downloaded from IRS.gov or ordered by calling the IRS toll-free at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). All organizations must use the funding number of TREAS-GRANTS-052017-001, and applications and funding requests must be submitted by June 20, 2016.
Questions about the LITC Program or grant application process can be addressed to the LITC Program Office at 202-317-4700 (not a toll-free call) or by email at LITCProgramOffice@irs.gov.
For more details, see IR-2016-70, IRS Accepting Applications for 2017 Low Income Taxpayer Clinic Grants.