National Taxpayer Advocate Public Forums
The IRS receives more than 100 million telephone calls and 5 million visits in its walk-in sites each year from taxpayers. Over the last two years, the IRS has worked to develop a “Future State” plan, which outlines the IRS’s intended activities in 5 years and beyond.
In her 2015 Annual Report to Congress, the National Taxpayer Advocate recommended the IRS solicit comments from taxpayers and tax professionals, including their thoughts on the extent to which taxpayers will continue to need telephone and in-person assistance, so the “Future State” plan will better reflect taxpayers’ needs and preferences as they seek to comply with the tax code. The public forums are a part of that recommendation - a series of events around the country to seek comments and suggestions regarding what taxpayers want and need from the IRS to help them comply with their tax obligations.
During the forums, she will be joined by Members of Congress and other presenters representing the interests of different taxpayer groups – the elderly, low-income, disabled, small business owners, tax practitioners, and others.
Future State Information
Tax Forum Comments
TAS Employee Future State Discussions
Recent Public Comments
Comments regarding the Future State of the IRS may be submitted by email. Please do not send account-related questions to this email address.
No Public Forums currently scheduled.
- San Antonio, TX (August 30, 2016)
- Los Angeles, CA (August 22, 2016)
- Portland, OR (August 18, 2016)
- Parma, OH (August 16, 2016)
- Washington, DC (May 17, 2016)
- Baltimore, MD (May 13, 2016)
- Red Oak, IA (May 5, 2016)
- Harrisburg, PA (April 8, 2016)
- Hendersonville, NC (April 4, 2016)
- Bronx, NY (March 18, 2016)
- Chicago, IL (March 9, 2016)
- Washington, DC (February 23, 2016)